Saturday, July 18, 2009

Circa 1950

I suppose I took a "blogging" (least favorite word) hiatus. Oh well.

Yesterday we were at the lake, big surprise, and it started to pour. Not a light rain, but like a "white out" rain, we could not even see the lake from the porch it was coming down so hard. So we watched the rain for a while because is central Texas it seems like a miracle when it happens. But... there is only so much rain watching one can do, so I started going through "stuff" in the house. I stumbled upon some great "stuff." 

Find # 1 - Some leather coasters that my Dad remembered making in junior high. They each had engraving in them, labeled for their user. They said: Dad, JH(Jana Hall), TH (Terry Hall) Anyone . #4 was my personal favorite... but he should have made that one say Mom, duh Dad.

I then found some old photo slides, like the kind encased in a paper sleeve that you have to either hold to the light to see or put in a slide projector. Most of these were probably taken in the 50's and early 60's. Priceless photos like my Dad dressed as a vampire, complete with a purple cape. Pictures from the "Hobo Party" which was nothing more than the kids dressing up in mis-matched clothes. I only knew it was the Hobo Party because the box was labeled. And other photos of family vacations to Six Flags and Colorado. One word, Priceless. I am going to have these slides made into digital files. My uncle even gave me his old slide projector so I could look at them better. I didn't know those were even still around, but he keeps everything, so I should not be surprised. 

There were endless treasures to be found at the house. I'll be doing more exploring in future trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment